The earthquake of 26th January, 2001 devastated
settlements across Gujarat. The scale of
the disaster and the immensity of human loss
and suffering brought us face-to-face with issues
of a fundamental importance.
At CEPT this event again brought into focus
questions such as..
- What is the true relationship between MAN,
NATURE and the BUILT ENVIRONMENT ?
- What should CITIZENS do in a crisis of this
- What is the role of PROFESSIONALS ?
- What contribution can an EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION
make in mitigating the effects of this
- What is our SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY ?
The CEPT fraternity; students, alumni, faculty,
administration and professionals, can say, in all
humility - our response was immediate, multifaceted,
concerted, sustained, energetic, informed
This EXHIBITION puts before the public the
knowledge that we have gathered together in
the last three months.
We hope it will be of use to society.
The Exhibition comprises of :
1. RESEARCH AND DOCUMENTATION ON THE
BUILT ENVIRONMENT IN KUTCH
2. IMMEDIATE RESPONSE : RELIEF ACTIVITIES
3. REBUILDING CONFIDENCE : our publications
of earthquakes, repairs, etc. for laymen
and damage assesment excercises
4. STUDIES FOR REGENERATING SETTLEMENTS
: from settlement to public institutions
to dwelling scales
5. TRAINING PROGRAMMES : for structural and
6. GUIDELINES FOR REPAIRS, RETROFITTING
7. ADVISORY ROLES AT SEVERAL LEVELS
8. NETWORKING AND JOINT ACTIONS
9. FUTURE PLANS